Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The cryptomnesia search...

Cryptomnesia: "the appearance in consciousness of memory images which are not recognized as such but which appear as original creations"

(Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=cryptomnesia)

I will be investing the use of cryptomnesia in art work throughout time. Art that is based off of famous art but that does not give credit to the orginal artisit will be considered in the questioning of cryptomnesia. This includes famous art pieces that are altered daily to make a statement whether humurous or political. I will also include in my cryptomnesia investigation the relevance of similar themes and motifs in art. Cryptomnesia, for my purposes, will include closely related ideas. Where did the orginal idea come from and who was the first to utilize it. I will also compare the true definition of cryptomnesia with lack of credit givin to the original artisit. Does cryptomnesia include artwork that is altered but does not credit the artist. And, does the artist always have to be credited in order for it to not be plagerism?
Moreover, I want to discover ideas that don't remind me of anything; the orginal idea that is not mass marketed in various artistic mediums.

No comments:

Post a Comment